Custom Search

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Helping Others

So today I went out and did my part to pay it forward some.  Of course I try my best to do this often, but I it is important to me, even though some times it is hard, to still get out and volunteer for causes that are worthwhile.  One such cause for me is March of Dimes, March for Babies.  I have been helping with this for many years now.  For the last 5 or so years before we moved last in August of 2010 my husband and I were on the walk committee in our home city.  Each year we did our best to top the festivities of the one before and of course, I was always in charge of feeding the crowd at the end of the walk.  We had grilled hot dogs and snacks and drinks and anything else would get donated.  I can tell you by the end of the day, I did not want to cook, eat or smell another hot dog for quite some time and boy was I tired.  I would always hurt like crazy and wonder why I kept doing it, but I would realize, those other people were hurting too.  They may not be hurting in the same way, but they have been through a battle of their own, with their own child or family member.  They may actually be here walking in remembrance of someone that did not make it, so the least I can do is for that day, push through what I am dealing with and stand strong to help them.  It took months of meetings and hours upon hours of work.  An amazing group of people in the end always seemed to pull it together.  The last year before we moved I was unable to be there due to extreme fatigue and a surgery.  It was sad, but I know the team did an amazing job.  This year in the new area we started off slow, just helping at a check point.  It may not be able to get any bigger than that, but at least I still did my part.  In the end, I was an extra hand, a smiling face and a thank you.  Don't you think that is all you would need sometimes instead of the questionable glance or the doubtful look.  All I know is if I am able to be there for others even just for a bit, it makes me feel better.  So when you have a chance, do it.  Say hi to a stranger, volunteer where you can, hold a door.  Every little bit you do to make others smile, will help you smile too.    I am tired, but it is a good tired.  I refuse to give in, or give up.  This is my life.  I may have it, but I don't have to like it.  So until I can't move at all, I will just keep moving forward!  Have a good one all!

No comments:

Post a Comment